During the Holiday seasons, there are numerous risks home owners will encounter, including the purchase and care for a Christmas tree. Purchasing and caring for a live tree in the house is a great tradition many families pass down through the generations, but caring for that tree properly is something that's sometimes overlooked.
If a Christmas tree catches fire it can engulf an entire room in flames in less than a minute. How fast these fires can spread is truly shocking. Take a look at the video below for an idea of just how quickly it can spread.
See below for a quick list of ways to avoid fire while having a live Christmas tree in the house:
- When you purchase the tree, cut 1/2 inch off the bottom of the trunk – this will allow for better water absorption
- Once you get your tree home, put it in a tree stand that allows for a water reservoir and fill the stand up with water immediately
- Place the tree away from heat sources like vents or fireplaces
- If using lights, try to use LED lights, which reduce heat while turned on
- Make sure to turn off any lights on the tree when you are not home
- Do not overload electrical circuits
- Continue to check the tree stand each day for water level and add as necessary
See below for some other informational tips about Christmas Tree care